Fantasy Impact: The Boston Bruins have acquired Lee Stempniak from the New Jersey Devils for two draft picks (second and fourth rounds)
The Bruins get: a streaky winger who can score. But he can also not score. What he was doing in New Jersey was unprecedented for him and it was the result of tremendous chemistry. Chemistry that he found when he was with Phoenix, but did not really have with any of the other seven teams he's played for (except in spurts).
The Devils get: two draft picks for a player who was going to walk in the summer, or who they could just re-sign regardless.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Lee Stempniak was on pace for 53 points, which would be a career high (52 points in 2006-07 with St. Louis). He was great with the Devils. That ain’t happening with the Bruins. With 12 of his 41 points coming on the power play, he joins a team with a set power-play unit. He could knock Jimmy Hayes off the second unit (he probably will), but the fit at even strength won’t be as nice as with the Devils where 25 of his 41 points have come with Mike Cammalleri on the ice (both ES and PP). And Cammalleri has missed 21 games! I think Stempniak owners aren’t going to like what they see.
Meanwhile in New Jersey, a lot of ice time just opened up. Joseph Blandisi and Reid Boucher will see a big bump. And on the power play too, as the Devils get a better a look at what they have with those two.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
1. Blandisi (see fantasy outlook here)
2. Boucher (see fantasy outlook here)
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
1. Stempniak (get stats/line combos here)
- Top 100 Keeper League Goalies - May 2019
- Ramblings: Mantha's Projected Breakout, Binnington's Pay Cheque, & Cole Caufield Earning Every Inch (May 23)
- Ramblings: San Jose-St. Louis Game 6; Updates on Martinook and de Haan; Nichushkin - May 22
- Fantasy Poll: Which Non-Elite UFA Will Have The Biggest Impact Next Year?
- Capped: On the Comeback Trail from Injury-plagued 2018-19
- Player Development and the 80/20 Rule
- Fantasy Take - Ottawa Hires D.J. Smith as Head Coach
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: Blades of Gloria