Fantasy Impact: The Florida Panthers have acquired forward Brandon Pirri from the Chicago Blackhawks for a third-round pick in 2014 and a fifth rounder in 2016.
The Panthers get: a young (still only 22), productive AHLer with versatility (can play wing or center) and upside. Stuck in a deep Chicago system, Pirri wasn’t quite good enough to lock down the second-line center job and couldn’t fit on a checking line. Check out Pirri’s outlook and upside here.
The Blackhawks get: two chances to draft another Pirri. The mighty ‘Hawks didn’t need him and they were very accommodating in moving him to a team that could use him.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Pirri has some value now in many league formats. With 21 games left he can be penciled in for 10 to 12 points, with upside for 14. And on Florida that’s an elite scorer! He’ll sub in for the injured Aleksander Barkov – who may be out for the season or close to it. This is a great audition for a role next year. Next season he will either knock Shawn Matthias out of a job, or he’ll move to the wing.
The Panthers have added a forward – it looks like one of (or both of) Brad Boyes and Tomas Fleischmann are on the way out this week.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Top 50 Fantasy Prospect Defensemen - April 2019
- Ramblings: Texier, Pacioretty, Jones & It's Looking a Little Dusty In Here, Someone Grab The Broom
- Ramblings: Carolina Updates; McLellan in Los Angeles; Pominville; Devon Toews - April 18
- Tournament: Players Who Would Thrive With Improved Deployment
- Fantasy Take: Los Angeles Kings Hire Todd McLellan as Head Coach
- Eastern Edge: Production and Expected Production from Atlantic Right Wingers
- Capped: Reviewing Hits and Misses from this Season - Part 1
- Ramblings: Injury Updates; Larkin; Doughty; Aho; Ekblad - April 19