Fantasy Impact: The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Brad Richards to a one-year deal worth $2 million.
Chicago gets: an aging center who is a shadow of what he once was, but in a second or third-line, power-play specialist capacity he still has a lot to give.
Fantasy Players Impacted: This is a huge short-term blow for Teuvo Teravainen owners. Now the much-hyped rookie will have to earn his roster spot, and once earned – he’ll have to earn his ice time. And power-play time will be impossible to come by (almost). This signing also hurts the fringe power-play guys, such as Kris Versteeg, Bryan Bickell and even Brent Seabrook – since Richards can man the point on the PP.
As for Richards, he can do well here as a depth guy. His wingers will be top quality, even on the third line, and his ice time will be held to a reasonable level. He could still post 45 to 50 points in this capacity.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Marner returns; updates on Strome, Spurgeon, and Landeskog; Fiala - December 5
- Ramblings: Landeskog Returns, Phil Finally Provides Some Thrill (Dec 6)
- Ramblings: Goalie Competition in Pittsburgh, Devil of a Time (Dec 7)
- Injury Ward: Dahlin, Backstrom, Landeskog, Fleury, Marner & Hughes
- Capped: Teams with free-agent uncertainty
- Looking Ahead: Bet on Vegas
- Frozen Tools Forensics: Cold Starts from the Defense
- Daily Fantasy Saturday: Cashing In With Cash Games