Fantasy Impact: The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Brad Richards to a one-year deal worth $2 million.
Chicago gets: an aging center who is a shadow of what he once was, but in a second or third-line, power-play specialist capacity he still has a lot to give.
Fantasy Players Impacted: This is a huge short-term blow for Teuvo Teravainen owners. Now the much-hyped rookie will have to earn his roster spot, and once earned – he’ll have to earn his ice time. And power-play time will be impossible to come by (almost). This signing also hurts the fringe power-play guys, such as Kris Versteeg, Bryan Bickell and even Brent Seabrook – since Richards can man the point on the PP.
As for Richards, he can do well here as a depth guy. His wingers will be top quality, even on the third line, and his ice time will be held to a reasonable level. He could still post 45 to 50 points in this capacity.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Thoughts on Murray, Jones, Marner, Byfuglien, Ehlers, some post-mortems and more (Apr 22)
- Top 10 Bounce-Back Candidates...That Didn't (2018-19)
- Ramblings: Power of the Schwartz, Jets’ Season Crashes (Apr 21)
- 21 Fantasy Hockey Rambles
- Wild West: Top Western Conference Left Wings 2018-19
- Geek of the Week: An Ad-Nazem Review
- Ramblings: Jets and Flames Post-Knockout; Keller; Playoff Hockey - April 23
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: In The Midnight Grubauer