Fantasy Impact: The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Brad Richards to a one-year deal worth $2 million.
Chicago gets: an aging center who is a shadow of what he once was, but in a second or third-line, power-play specialist capacity he still has a lot to give.
Fantasy Players Impacted: This is a huge short-term blow for Teuvo Teravainen owners. Now the much-hyped rookie will have to earn his roster spot, and once earned – he’ll have to earn his ice time. And power-play time will be impossible to come by (almost). This signing also hurts the fringe power-play guys, such as Kris Versteeg, Bryan Bickell and even Brent Seabrook – since Richards can man the point on the PP.
As for Richards, he can do well here as a depth guy. His wingers will be top quality, even on the third line, and his ice time will be held to a reasonable level. He could still post 45 to 50 points in this capacity.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Rookie Projections & A Minor Trade (July 17)
- Ramblings: Stewart and Compher sign; Chicago's goaltending; Ellis; Green; Teuvo - July 18
- Ramblings: Seattle Hires Francis As GM, Ranking Defensemen (July 19)
- Fantasy Poll: Which Players Will Suffer The Most From Off-Season Movement?
- Ramblings: Oilers/Flames Trade High Salaries, Rangers Sign Trouba, Schenn, Marchessault (July 20)
- Frozen Tools Forensics: The Ten Worst Defensemen according to GAR
- Fantasy Take: Lucic and Neal Swapped One For One
- Capped: Introducing cap league tools and top cap league values