Fantasy Impact: The Colorado Avalanche have acquired Mikkel Boedker from the Arizona Coyotes for Alex Tanguay, Connor Bleackley and Kyle Wood.
The Avs get: A speedy winger who can score and has plenty of untapped potential. His career high is 51 points, but at just 26 years of age he can obviously do much better. Plenty of time for that.
The 'Yotes get: a declining winger in Tanguay who was only included to balance the money. He'll be allowed to walk this summer as a free agent. The 'Yotes did it for the two prospects Bleackley and Wood. Bleackley is a responsible two-way center with a strong likelihood of making it to the NHL in two or three years. Get his full prospect fantasy profile here. Wood is an offensive defenseman and former third-round draft pick who is also two to three years away (get more info on him here)
Fantasy Players Impacted: Boedker is on pace for 51 points, but in Colorado he has a better team around him and better linemates. To put it another way – his primary centerman this season has been Antoine Vermette. Now it will be either Nathan MacKinnon or Matt Duchene. Slight upgrade, right? (see his linemates for this season here). Because it's a swap of wingers, unfortunately this means that the youngsters for Arizona won't be given much more in the way of ice time. Maybe Tanguay is on the second PP unit …but Boedker was on the second unit, so again – no ice time gets loosened up here.
The big gain is with Boedker. Tanguay was playing with Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon and Boedker will slot right into that line immediately. That helps all three of them and there could even be a domino effect that helps the other scoring line. On the power play, Blake Comeau and Mikhail Grigorenko lose their spots. Boedker will gobble that up.
It should be noted that with the move from one team to the other, Boedker loses two games remaining while Tanguay gains two games.
Fantasy Players This Helps, In Order:
1. Boedker (stats/line combos here)
2. Landeskog (stats/line combos here)
3. MacKinnon (stats/line combos here)
Fantasy Players This Hurts, In Order:
1. Grigorenko (stats/line combos here)
2. Comeau (stats/line combos here)
- Ramblings: Kakko vs. Hughes (again), Carolina Goalie Conundrum, Trouba on the block? More (May 20)
- Top 10 worst peripheral defensemen 2019
- Ramblings: Carolina Cleans Out; Hamilton Injury; Esa Lindell's Contract - May 21
- 21 Fantasy Hockey Rambles
- Top Western Conference Goalies 2018-19
- Geek of the Week: Mika Zibanejad
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: Blades of Gloria
- Ramblings: San Jose-St. Louis Game 6; Updates on Martinook and de Haan; Nichushkin - May 22