Fantasy Impact: The New York Islanders signed winger Cory Conacher to a one-year deal worth $600,000
The Islanders get: A small, skilled winger who plays with a lot of grit and hustle. Conacher is (and continues to be) a late bloomer, but even though he’s only 24 – he’s running out of chances. He was the AHL Rookie-of-the-Year and leading scorer (and MVP) in 2011-12, and in his first 35 NHL games he had 24 points with Tampa Bay.
However, since then, he has been flounding in both Ottawa and Buffalo. The Senators, it quickly became clear, were a terrible fit. And it was tough finding his way in Buffalo because he just didn’t thrive in the Ted Nolan system. Can he thrive in a Jack Capuano system? Well…yes. After all, both Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau did. And I use them as examples because they were late bloomers destined to be stars merely at the AHL level – but caught their breaks with this very team.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Conacher makes such a small salary that paying him while he’s in the minors is not a big deal. So his roster spot is not secure. That being said, the Isles didn’t sign him to be a fourth-line checker. He will see his time with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo. After a few games, if that doesn’t work out, he will see his time with Frans Nielsen. And then the next step is Ryan Strome. And then press box.
So Conacher needs to make his mark quickly. Give him six, eight games at the most with Tavares and see how he does. Boom or bust, no quesiton.
That spot on the Tavares line had Anders Lee’s name penciled in there. So although he may end up there by Game 10, this is an early blow to his short-term fantasy value.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
2. Brock Nelson
3. Michael Grabner
- Ramblings: JT Miller, Barzal, Schwartz, Draisaitl & Boeser (August 14)
- Forum Buzz: Keller's Value With Kessel, Horvat's Ceiling, & Keeper Decisions
- Ramblings: A new goal model; John Gibson, Linus Ullmark, and Cory Schneider - August 15
- Top 100 Roto Rankings – August 2019
- Ramblings: The Unsigned, Ranking Hall and Debrincat, Fantasy Entry Draft Results (Aug 16)
- Capped: Team by team buy and sell, part 2
- Ramblings: Laine Contract Stall, Weber Comparable, Undervalued Players in CBS (Aug 17)
- Frozen Tools Forensics: Impending Contract Years – Part 1