Fantasy Impact: The New York Islanders signed winger Cory Conacher to a one-year deal worth $600,000
The Islanders get: A small, skilled winger who plays with a lot of grit and hustle. Conacher is (and continues to be) a late bloomer, but even though he’s only 24 – he’s running out of chances. He was the AHL Rookie-of-the-Year and leading scorer (and MVP) in 2011-12, and in his first 35 NHL games he had 24 points with Tampa Bay.
However, since then, he has been flounding in both Ottawa and Buffalo. The Senators, it quickly became clear, were a terrible fit. And it was tough finding his way in Buffalo because he just didn’t thrive in the Ted Nolan system. Can he thrive in a Jack Capuano system? Well…yes. After all, both Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau did. And I use them as examples because they were late bloomers destined to be stars merely at the AHL level – but caught their breaks with this very team.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Conacher makes such a small salary that paying him while he’s in the minors is not a big deal. So his roster spot is not secure. That being said, the Isles didn’t sign him to be a fourth-line checker. He will see his time with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo. After a few games, if that doesn’t work out, he will see his time with Frans Nielsen. And then the next step is Ryan Strome. And then press box.
So Conacher needs to make his mark quickly. Give him six, eight games at the most with Tavares and see how he does. Boom or bust, no quesiton.
That spot on the Tavares line had Anders Lee’s name penciled in there. So although he may end up there by Game 10, this is an early blow to his short-term fantasy value.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
2. Brock Nelson
3. Michael Grabner
- Top 50 Fantasy Prospect Defensemen - April 2019
- Ramblings: Texier, Pacioretty, Jones & It's Looking a Little Dusty In Here, Someone Grab The Broom
- Ramblings: Carolina Updates; McLellan in Los Angeles; Pominville; Devon Toews - April 18
- Tournament: Players Who Would Thrive With Improved Deployment
- Fantasy Take: Los Angeles Kings Hire Todd McLellan as Head Coach
- Eastern Edge: Production and Expected Production from Atlantic Right Wingers
- Capped: Reviewing Hits and Misses from this Season - Part 1
- Ramblings: Injury Updates; Larkin; Doughty; Aho; Ekblad - April 19