Blackhawks Sign Chris Kunitz
The Chicago Blackhawks have signed forward Chris Kunitz to a one-year, $1 million contract.
The Blackhawks get: A veteran winger who turns 39 before the season starts. Despite playing all 82 games for the Lightning last season, Kunitz scored just 29 points (13g-16a). Kunitz scored 35 goals and 68 points back in the 2013-14 season as a linemate of Sidney Crosby.
Fantasy players impacted:
At this point in his career Kunitz is more of a depth piece who will attempt to help the Blackhawks return to the playoffs with a mostly veteran-laden lineup. Kunitz was mainly in a bottom-six role last season with very little power-play time, which is where he will likely slot in again. However, an injury or two could bump him up to the top 6, which would provide him with some short-term value. With Joel Quenneville, though, there’s no telling. But don’t expect a cushy Kane-type line arrangement, though.
Fantasy players this helps:
Kunitz (extends his career one more season)
Fantasy players this hurts:
No one in particular
- Ramblings: Surprises, Disappointments, & Everything In-Between (Dec. 4)
- Ramblings: Marner returns; updates on Strome, Spurgeon, and Landeskog; Fiala - December 5
- Fantasy Take: John Hynes fired as coach of Devils
- Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: J.T. Miller, Anze Kopitar, & Brady Tkachuk
- Injury Ward: Dahlin, Backstrom, Landeskog, Fleury, Marner & Hughes
- Capped: Teams with free-agent uncertainty
- Eastern Edge: Storylines from around the East
- Ramblings: Landeskog Returns, Phil Finally Provides Some Thrill (Dec 6)