Fantasy Impact: This year’s Brad Boyes is… Pierre-Marc Bouchard, whom the New York Islanders have signed as an unrestricted free agent for one year at $2 million.
The Islanders get: A new reclamation project. Look what they did with Brad Boyes a year ago, when they picked him up off of the free agency scrap heap. Boyes, who was 30 at the time, was in a decline because of his play. Bouchard, who is 29, is in a decline because injuries stunted his development, specifically concussions. Bouchard did have his share of benchings last year, but he also had a hot streak of nine points in six games in March. If he can stay healthy, he’ll be able to match the production that Boyes did – and he’ll do it more consistently.
Fantasy Players Impacted: This probably means that Boyes will not be re-signed. And that spells the end of his value, because the Islanders were about the only team that would give him those numbers.
Bouchard was used exclusively as a winger for the Wild and will remain there with the Islanders. His arrival gives the Isles more skill on their third line, which would help Ryan Strome if he makes the team. It also keeps Grabner on the third line as well.
Potential line combos:
Matt Moulson – John Tavares – Cal Clutterbuck
Josh Bailey – Frans Nielsen – Kyle Okposo
Michael Grabner – Ryan Strome – Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Matt Martin – Casey Cizikas – Brock Nelson
Eric Boulton – Peter Regin – Colin McDonald
Let’s put Clutterbuck at 55% and Bouchard at 45% for that top line – interchangeable. And let’s put Strome at 55% to make the team.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Thoughts on Murray, Jones, Marner, Byfuglien, Ehlers, some post-mortems and more (Apr 22)
- Top 10 Bounce-Back Candidates...That Didn't (2018-19)
- Ramblings: Power of the Schwartz, Jets’ Season Crashes (Apr 21)
- 21 Fantasy Hockey Rambles
- Wild West: Top Western Conference Left Wings 2018-19
- Geek of the Week: An Ad-Nazem Review
- Ramblings: Jets and Flames Post-Knockout; Keller; Playoff Hockey - April 23
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: In The Midnight Grubauer