The fantasy impact of Jason Spezza getting traded to Dallas
Fantasy Impact: The Ottawa Senators have traded Jason Spezza and Ludwig Karlsson to the Dallas Stars in exchange for Alex Chiasson, Alexander Guptill, Nicholas Paul, and a second round pick in 2015.
The Stars get: An offensive centerman that has point per game capabilities if he remains healthy. He’s likely going to slot into a secondary role behind Tyler Seguin on the second unit.
The Senators get: Some prospects and a player in Chiasson who scored 35 points last season. He also tallied six power play markers, but could have had more. He gets his share of chances but needs to convert better.
Read up on Alex Guptil here.
Fantasy Players impacted: I like the deal mainly for both Spezza and Seguin. This helps Seguin because he is now better insulated with a top-notch second-line center. Teams won’t be able to check him as easily, which goes the same for Spezza with another center that has the quality of a Seguin on the roster.
I also figure Lindy Ruff will use them both together on the power play, which should be beneficial to both parties. As well as other wingers that see heavy power play time like Benn and Nichushkin. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stars use four forwards on the power play quite frequently next season.
This could benefit Mika Zibanejad, who has a chance to earn the second line center spot in Ottawa.
Chiasson should also benefit with an increased number of minutes in Ottawa. There’s lots of opportunity to earn ice time with that forward group and should find himself on the second line if he plays his cards right with some power play time as well. He averaged just over 15 minutes last year and I expect him to be around 17 minutes in 2014-15 with the Sens.
Without Spezza to dish to, that’s one fewer offensive gun for Erik Karlsson.
Fantasy players this helps, in order:
Fantasy players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Deployment is King - Boeser, Konecny, Barrie, Josi, & Duchene (Sept.18)
- Ramblings: Byfuglien's future; training camp notes; peripheral players - September 19
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades 2019: Winnipeg Jets (and Final Team Rankings)
- Ramblings: Chabot Signing, Montour Injury, Defense Groups (Sept 20)
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades 2019: Vegas Golden Knights
- Fantasy Poll: Even-Strength Duos
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades 2019: Washington Capitals
- Capped: Team by team buy and sell, part 7