The Senators have acquired defenseman Mike Commodore and forward Cory Stillman in exchange for defenseman Joe Corvo and forward Patrick Eaves. Here is the take from a fantasy standpoint…
The Sens get: a top-line winger capable of playing with the big boys Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley. Stillman is also a proven playoff stud. Mike Commodore is perfectly capable of nearly matching what Joe Corvo has been doing offensively, but for half the salary (I clarify this point in the forum, see the link below).
The ‘Canes get: a young, but injury-prone winger capable of perhaps 65 points one day. They also got that puck-moving defenseman that they have been craving, although I think they will find that Corvo is only a small upgrade from what Commodore was doing.
Fantasy Players Impacted: nothing snaps a guy out of a horrible slump like being plunked on a line with Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley. Ottawa has been dying to put a player there and they finally got sick of trying Eaves, Vermette, Schaefer and McAmmond there – all have been tried there a hundred times (Schaefer prior to his getting traded of course). They will put Stillman there and keep him there no matter how bad he plays. He can’t help but succeed here. Mike Fisher’s offense took a small hit when Alfredsson, Spezza and Heatley were reunited. Now that Stillman is here, Fisher has a linemate in Alfredsson – watch out for those two. Fisher’s career year will continue.
Joe Corvo owners – he will get all the power-play time he can handle. Corvo’s value goes way up and he becomes a 50-point player going forward. Mike Commodore probably won’t see his production increase at all, but it won’t go down either.
This was a great trade for both teams, although the Sens clearly got the better of it.
- Ramblings: Deployment is King - Boeser, Konecny, Barrie, Josi, & Duchene (Sept.18)
- Ramblings: Byfuglien's future; training camp notes; peripheral players - September 19
- Eastern Edge: Player values by Yahoo! ADP
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades 2019: Vancouver Canucks
- Fantasy Poll: Even-Strength Duos
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades 2019: Vegas Golden Knights
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades 2019: Washington Capitals
- Capped: Team by team buy and sell, part 7