Welcome to the third edition of the new Top 100 Roto! Like everything else on DobberHockey, it will hopefully assist you in evaluating the players in your league. Download December's Top 100 Roto Here.
It may be surprising to some that Kunitz is the top ranked player in the league, but it just reinforces how much of a cross-category beast he is. In a league where you cannot win with just points, a player such as Kunitz is invaluable. The only category where he is not at least a tier-3 is penalty minutes, and he is still the best of the top five in that dubious category. For reference, only eight players in the overall Top 100, on average, are in the top two tiers for a given category. While he may not dominate goals like Stamkos, or assists like Crosby, his consistent greatness makes him the best own in a league that equally weights these categories.
It is worth noting that a plus/minus rating of three is the highest obtained by anyone in the overall Top 100. Multiple players have top scores in any given season, but not a single player has consistently maintained an elite plus/minus over multiple seasons.
At the other end of the spectrum, 22 players get top scores in shots on goal. Even though a comparable number of players earn top marks in plus/minus in any given season, the shooting rates for top players seem to more repeatable. As always, comments or suggestions are always welcome at @austeane on twitter or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Top 100 Rotisserie Players:
This list was assembled from a weighted average of the last three years, and players were ranked by how well they did in each (equally weighted) category compared to the other top fantasy players. It best applies to leagues with 250 fantasy relevant players, no positional requirements and equally weighted categories. I do hope various leagues can find value in the category scores at least. I resisted the temptation to “correct” some of the more jarring things on the list, so it is completely statistics based.
- Fantasy Impact: Penguins Trade for Derick Brassard
- Ramblings: Petry, Klefbom and Vatanen are Undervalued Blue Line Options (Feb 23)
- Four Goalies to Approach Differently Ahead of the Trade Deadline
- Ramblings: Brassard Traded; Pens Blast 'Canes; Jets Blank Blues - February 24
- Fantasy Impact: The Devils Acquire Michael Grabner
- Looking Ahead: Oliver Bjorkstrand Offers Value in the Week Ahead
- Daily Fantasy - Risky budget plays so you can afford 'the Ghost' (Feb 22)
- Saturday NHL Game Picks - February 24