The Bruins receive: A versatile middle six forward who could play up the lineup on the wing, or down the lineup in the middle. His numbers have steadily declined since a career-best 56 points in 2016-17. The soon-to-be 27-year-old has one more season remaining on his contract at 3.2 million. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent after that.
The Wild receive: A 22-year-old forward who boasts untapped potential. The former NCAA goal-scoring star has struggled to get his footing in the NHL so far in his early career. He’s been in the American League the past month and performing well. Donato is a cost-controlled asset with years of service remaining. He is arbitration eligible this summer.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Boston was always going to be buyers. Grabbing Coyle checks off a lot of boxes for them. He’s a local kid and former BU star. He can slot in as a third line centre to provide depth behind Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. He can also play up on the right wing next to Krejci and Jake DeBrusk if need be. Coyle has shown capable of being a decent finisher at even-strength and a deft board worker.
Look for Coyle to join the second power-play unit. Perhaps in the bumper spot at the expense of Trent Frederic. Frederic will also be in jeopardy to hold his spot in the lineup if the team decides to deploy Coyle as the 3C. When David Pastrnak is healthy, this could push Danton Heinen out of a top-six winger job as well.
The Wild move out 2.3 million in cap space, gain a young player with some nice upside and announce to the world that despite tenuously owning a Wild Card spot, that they are sellers. Donato should immediately be recalled by the Wild. The team has been devastated by injuries of late and this should facilitate some early opportunities for the newest addition.
Donato is a skilled forward with a strong release and good puck skills. He can be accused of playing with blinders on at times and lacks the explosive skating often needed for impactful producers.
Fantasy players this helps in order:
Fantasy players this hurts in order:
Follow me on Twitter @Hockey_Robinson
- Ramblings: My landing spots for this summer’s big crop of UFA goalies; thoughts on the Hurricanes; Winnington, and more (May 18)
- Ramblings: Boston Completes The Sweep, Werenski's Keeper Value, & Hertl's Breakout Season (May 17)
- Ramblings: Playoff Production, Vigneault's Potential Impact, Potential Breakouts (May 19)
- Capped: Assessing the Goaltending Market
- Frozen Tools Forensics – Looking to Free Agency (Part IV)
- 21 Fantasy Hockey Rambles
- Geek of the Week: Mika Zibanejad
- Ramblings: Kakko vs. Hughes (again), Carolina Goalie Conundrum, Trouba on the block? More (May 20)