The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed left wing Brandon Tanev to a six-year contract with an annual average value of $3.5 million.
The Penguins get: A physical forward who scored a career-high 29 points (14g-15a) for the Jets in 2018-19. That point total won’t move the needle very far in fantasy leagues, but his hit total (278 hits, 3rd in NHL) should generate interest in multicategory leagues.
Six years for Brandon Tanev. Yes, this is silly season. Maybe this is a silver lining of the Penguins having to trade Phil Kessel. If we look past the signing itself, there is a player who can have some impact in leagues that count hits, particularly those with few other categories.
Is it possible that Tanev could improve his scoring total playing alongside the big guns in Pittsburgh? That seems to be the question with every forward that is acquired by the Penguins. We might be best to look at his usage with the Jets to get a better idea. He didn’t play on the power play at all in Winnipeg, so the first-unit power play and probably even the second-unit power play are out. Adam Lowry was typically his center in Winnipeg, but on a third-line role in Pittsburgh he could possibly get upgraded to Jared McCann, Nick Bjugstad, or even Alex Galchenyuk as his center. There’s a possibility for more output at even strength, although something in the top 6 would probably only open up in the event of an injury.
Add Tanev to your team as a late-round option because you need hits. Not because you think his scoring will explode with Crosby or Malkin.
Players this helps, in order:
Players this hurts, in order:
Fantasy owners are discussing this on the Forum – give your take here!
- Top 10 Players With a ‘Zero’ Stat
- Ramblings: Thoughts on Dach, Gustafsson, Glass, and Some Short-Term Roster Adds (Nov 18)
- Ramblings: Schneider waived; Drouin and Byron injured; Frost called up; Svechnikov - November 19
- 21 Fantasy Hockey Rambles
- West: Goals vs. Expectation Pt.2 (Benn, Ritchie, Marchessault)
- Lining Up: Streaking lines over their last 10 games
- Eastern Edge: Struggling and thriving players over the last month
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: Clap Your Hands Shea Yeah