The Ottawa Senators and Columbus Blue Jackets continue to do business. One day after the Matt Duchene trade, the Senators have traded Ryan Dzingel and a seventh-round pick in 2019 to the Blue Jackets in exchange for Anthony Duclair and a pair of second-round selections in 2020 and 2021.
Dzingel is having a career year with 44 points (22g-22a) in 57 games. The first question upon his acquisition by Columbus is will he play on a line with former teammate Duchene? There’s a good chance that he will at some point, as 44 percent of both Dzingel’s even-strength icetime and even-strength points have been with Duchene on his line. However, it’s also worth mentioning that Duchene has already been moved to the top line with Cam Atkinson and Artemi Panarin, with Pierre-Luc Dubois bumped down to a line with Oliver Bjorkstrand and the now-traded Duclair. So this could also be a swap of Dzingel for Duclair to keep the current forward lines intact.
Dzingel would likely slot into the Jackets’ second-unit power play, if Duchene/Panarin/Atkinson/Dubois are the four forwards on the first unit. He would likely take Duclair’s spot as well, though it’s possible that he’s stronger competition for Josh Anderson or Oliver Bjorkstrand for second-unit minutes.
It’s easy to suggest that Duclair will receive a fresh start, but he’s already had several of them (joining his fifth NHL organization), and he is only 23. It might be better to suggest that he is running out of NHL chances, as John Tortorella made it very clear with numerous healthy scratches and benchings that something is missing with Duclair. There really is a clean slate for Duclair in Ottawa with numerous top-6 roles up for grabs. So this might be it for Duclair if he can’t make it work in Canada’s capital.
Players this helps, in order:
Dzingel (who would have lost quality linemates had he stayed in Ottawa)
Drake Batherson, Logan Brown (young forwards who may receive increased opportunity)
Alex Formenton (improved odds for next season)
Players this hurts, in order:
Fantasy owners are already discussing the deal on the Forum – give your take here!
- Top 10 Keepers on the Bubble, Summer of 2019
- Ramblings: Bubble Keeper Week - Schneider, Labanc, Kase, Couturier and tons of ‘Player X or Player Y’ Questions (July 22)
- Ramblings: Bubble Keeper Week; Zach Aston-Reese; Dobber Guide - July 23
- 21 Fantasy Hockey Rambles
- Wild West: Worth Keeping? In-Depth Look at Craig Smith, Paul Stastny and Dustin Byfuglien
- Lining Up: Bubble Keeper Week and Potential Linemates
- Eastern Edge: Bubble Keeper Week with Tatar and DeBrusk
- Ramblings: Bubble Week Rolls On - Trouba, Kyrou, Fox, Buchnevich, & Sissons Re-Signs (July 24)