February 16, 2013

Dobber Sports

2013-02-15

 

*

 

Carey Price is out tonight with the flu (seems to be going around right now). Peter Budaj will get the start for the Habs.

 

*

 

Tyler Seguin’s struggles continue – he is playing a soft, perimeter game right now. Perhaps he got used to the playing style in Switzerland? Either way, his early season lack of production is both surprising (considering how dominant he was in Europe during the lockout) and disappointing.

 

*

 

Dallas prospect Reilly Smith scored his first career NHL goal last night against Cory Schneider.

 

Schneider wasn’t great – he let in a few softies. I’d expect Roberto Luongo to get the start next game.

 

Henrik Sedin had two helpers and passed Markus Naslund for the all time lead in team scoring.

 

Surrey, BC native Brenden Dillon scored the game winner in front of a ton of family and friends. The rookie defenseman has been a revelation for the Stars this season, and he is becomming a solid fantasy contributor (hits, PIM, too).

 

The big news – Kari Lehtonen left with a groin injury. Richard Bachman was OK in relief – I’d imagine Nihlstorp will get most of the starts if Lehtonen is out for any length of time.

 

*

 

St. Louis received a number of really good performances last night.

 

Alex Steen had three points, David Perron scored twice, and Jaden Schwartz (one of my favourite young players in the league) had a goal and a helper.

 

TJ Oshie also had two helpers.

 

Jake Allen had a fantastic game for the Blues – he made 30 saves, including an absolutely ridiculous stick save which will be linked below. 

 

Joey MacDonald came in to the game after Leland Irving allowed two goals on four shots.

 

*

 

75% of the time, Antti Niemi plays like a top 10 goalie. The other 25% of the time though… yikes. He did make 33 saves last night, but he looked shaky at times against his former club.

 

Ray Emery was rock solid for Chicago – he got the start as Crawford is out with an upper body injury.

 

*

 

Another start and another win for Viktor Fasth. Quite the beginning to his NHL career – better late than never for the 30-year-old. I wonder what Jonas Hiller (and his owners) are thinking right now?

 

*

 

I am not always the biggest fan of Fleury, but he was great against Winnipeg last night. Best game I have seen from him in a while.

 

The game itself was pretty boring – Pavelec was spitting out rebounds all game long, but the team did a great job of containing the high-octane Pittsburgh offence.

 

So much for easing back in – Zach Bogosian played 25 minutes and looked great for Winnipeg. I forgot what a powerful skater he is – he had some fantastic end-to-end rushes. Still not really sure what kind of offence he possesses.

 

*

 

David “Wayne Gretzky” Clarkson had another goal last night – his last season and a half has been really, really impressive.

 

Kovalchuk added three helpers, and Elias also had three points. I don’t think Elias gets enough credit for how well he has played in the past few years. He has played a lot of really good hockey for a long time.

 

*

 

Another great performance from Patrice Bergeron – no points, but he led the Bruins with five shots on goal, and he won 15 of 20 face-offs.

📢 advertisement:

 

Dougie Hamilton