Fantasy Impact: The Boston Bruins have acquired defenseman John-Michael Liles from the Carolina Hurricanes for a third- and a fifth-round draft pick, as well as prospect Anthony Camara.
The Bruins get: a puck-moving defenseman coming off a horrible 2014-15 to have an improved 2015-16.
The Hurricanes get: tremendous value for a player they couldn't pay a team to take six months ago.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Liles was gobbling up a fair amount of PP time (about 35% of Carolina's available PP time), but lately even more (closer to 50%). He was also seeing over 20 minutes per game of ice time. That's a lot of quality minutes that will now be distributed to the likes of Noah Hanifin, Brett Pesce and Jaccob Slavin. You could also see prospect Ryan Murphy get called up for another NHL shot. Murphy has 22 points in 30 AHL games, so he has things figured out at that level at least.
Because of what they gave up to get him, the Bruins will give Liles a lot of opportunity initially. But his 45-point production days are long gone and it won’t take Coach Julien long to see that. Going forward you can color me surprised if Liles gets more than five or six points as a Bruin.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
1. Hanifin (stats/pairing info here)
2. Murphy (stats/pairing info here)
3. Slavin (stats/pairing info here)
4. Pesce (stats/pairing info here)
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
1. Miller (stats/pairing info here)
2. Morrow (stats/pairing info here)
- Top 100 Keeper League Goaltenders - August 2019
- Ramblings: The Lowdown on Provorov, Parayko, Nylander, Virtanen, six other players of fantasy interest, plus the Kuznetsov fallout (Aug 24)
- Ramblings: Brassard with the Islanders; Eriksson Ek extended; draft analysis
- Ramblings: Colin White signs long-term; Jaskin to the KHL; positional battles - August 22
- Capped: Team by team buy and sell, part 3
- Frozen Tools Forensics: Impending contract years, part 2
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: NHL Audio Almanac and projections preview: Carolina Hurricanes
- The Journey: CHL Teams to Watch in 2019-20