Fantasy Impact: The Carolina Hurricanes have signed goaltender Anton Khudobin as an unrestricted free agent. The deal is for one year at $800,000.
The Hurricanes get: a solid goaltender with a lot of upside. As far as backups go, this is one of the better ones to roll the dice on because if Cam Ward is injured for an extended period again – I have confidence that Khudobin could hold his own. Certainly much better than Justin Peters or Dan Ellis.
Khudobins numbers last season were fantastic with Boston:
9-4-1, 2.32, 0.920
Fantasy Players Impacted: Khudobin slides into the No.2 hole again, but this time it is behind a goalie who missed almost an entire season with an MCL injury. If Ward is hit with the injury again, Khudobin gains fantasy prominence. If Ward remains healthy, Khudobin will start about 25 games.
Peters was ready to become a full-time backup. This move pushes down to No.3 again.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Tavares Out Two Weeks; Firsts For J. Hughes, Subban, Kessel (Oct 18)
- Top 200 Fantasy Prospect Forwards - October 2019
- Ramblings: Hischier Gets His Deal, Neal’s Market Value, Slumping Stars (Oct 19)
- Top 50 Fantasy Prospect Defensemen - October 2019
- Looking Ahead: Marleau Could Pay Dividends
- Capped: Early returns on a cost-per-point basis
- Frozen Tools Forensics – Early Season Power-Play Concerns
- The Journey: Fastest Rising/Falling Prospects