The Florida Panthers trade defenseman Dylan McIlrath and a 2017 third-round pick to the Detroit Red Wings for winger Thomas Vanek
The Panthers get: a star 30-goal winger. Or is it a dud 10-goal winger? Well, that depends on the team. And the situation. In the playoffs, Vanek has been legendary for his disappearing act, managing just 34 points in 63 career playoff games. In the regular season he's been boom or bust – mixing in 40-point years among 60-plus-point seasons. He soared in Montreal during the regular season, but was a dud in the playoffs. He soared with the Islanders, but was mediocre with Minnesota. Buffalo was the only team he played for that saw him consistently put up big points – and that tenure ended four years ago. So for the last four years, the 33-year-old has been enigmatic to say the least. But all the Panthers did here was upgrade Michael Sgarbossa, who was really just a third-line stopgap. Florida gained the most when Jonathan Huberdeau and Aleksander Barkov returned from injury. They’ve been winning again, and adding an enigmatic winger could hurt more than it helps. It may be best that he sit in the press box and only be called upon if a key top-sixer gets hurt again. Just my two cents on that.
The Red Wings get: a solid pick and a depth defenseman.
Fantasy Players Impacted: As noted, Sgarbossa gets bumped down. But Jussi Jokinen and Jonathan Marchessault will also be impacted, and possibly Reilly Smith. There is only so much power-play time to go around and Vanek is almost useless if he’s not put out on the power play.
It’s the bubble PP forwards who are in danger of taking a hit here.
Vanek himself is a volatile own right now. I’d rate him as a “sell” simply because I would not want to have that boom/bust risk on my team if I could get something safer for him.
Vanek’s departure from Detroit opens up a huge hole on the PP unit. This will be filled by Andreas Athanasiou and Frans Nielsen. Possibly Justin Abdelkader. Those three stand to see a bump in PP time and likely a bit of production.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
This trade is being discussed in our forum right here!
- Top 100 Keeper League Goaltenders - August 2019
- Ramblings: Colin White signs long-term; Jaskin to the KHL; positional battles - August 22
- Ramblings: Brassard with the Islanders; Eriksson Ek extended; draft analysis
- Fantasy Impact: Derick Brassard Signs With Islanders
- Capped: Team by team buy and sell, part 3
- Frozen Tools Forensics: Impending contract years, part 2
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: NHL Audio Almanac and projections preview: Carolina Hurricanes
- Ramblings: The Lowdown on Provorov, Parayko, Nylander, Virtanen, six other players of fantasy interest, plus the Kuznetsov fallout (Aug 24)