R. Nash Signs In Columbus… Riley Nash, That Is
The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed forward Riley Nash to a three-year, $8.25 million contract.
The Blue Jackets get: A 29-year-old forward who had a career year in 2017-18 with 41 points (15g-26a). It is interesting to note that prior to 2017-18, Nash had not reached 25 points at any time in his career. So he was able to financially benefit from a career year. The Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci injuries both factored into an increased role for Nash in Boston in 2017-18, as he scored 13 points in 14 games when Bergeron was injured in March.
Fantasy players impacted:
Replaces Matt Calvert. He’s a right handed centre. https://t.co/lP0Jnm7hPQ
— John Shannon (@JSportsnet) July 1, 2018
If Nash is essentially being brought in to replace Matt Calvert (signed with Colorado), then he should be penciled in for a bottom-6 role with the Jackets. However, that role could increase should the Jackets also decide to part ways with Brandon Dubinsky. Nash shouldn’t unseat Pierre-Luc Dubois or Alexander Wennberg on the top two lines, but he could make his way to the top 6 if he is moved to the wing. It’s possible that he could help someone like Josh Anderson or Boone Jenner or Sonny Milano on the third line, depending on how John Tortorella plans to deploy his lines.
Keep in mind that the Jackets are also signing Nash to cover themselves offensively should they trade away Artemi Panarin. So Nash’s value could receive a boost with a Panarin trade, depending on the return.
Nash didn’t figure to fit into the Bruins’ top 6 going forward anyway. But his departure clears the way for Ryan Donato to receive a full-time NHL roster spot. Donato scored nine points (5g-4a) in 12 games during the regular season, but he was a healthy scratch during much of the playoffs with the regulars back.
Fantasy players this helps:
Fantasy players this hurts:
- Ramblings: Stewart and Compher sign; Chicago's goaltending; Ellis; Green; Teuvo - July 18
- Ramblings: Seattle Hires Francis As GM, Ranking Defensemen (July 19)
- Fantasy Poll: Which Players Will Suffer The Most From Off-Season Movement?
- Ramblings: Oilers/Flames Trade High Salaries, Rangers Sign Trouba, Schenn, Marchessault (July 20)
- Fantasy Take: Lucic and Neal Swapped One For One
- Frozen Tools Forensics: The Ten Worst Defensemen according to GAR
- Capped: Introducing cap league tools and top cap league values
- Ramblings: Bubble Keepers in Shallower Pools - Horvat, Kopitar, Voracek (July 21)