Fantasy Impact: James Neal has been traded to Nashville for Patrice Hornqvist and Nick Spaling.
The Penguins get: The next James Neal? Hornqvist is a 30-goal, 55-point guy but on Evgeni Malkin’s line he’s 40-plus and 70-plus. His fantasy value is through the roof. Spaling is a versatile third-liner who can play any forward position and post 40 points in the right circumstances.
The Predators get: A big-name scorer who plays physical and could be a big enough name to lure a free agent (Paul Stastny) or a player via trade (Jason Spezza).
Fantasy Players Impacted: Neal’s owners are cringing, as they should. But it won’t be as bad as you think. Peter Laviollette is the coach now, and I suspect that the team will land a top center. Still – he won’t be Malkin, so you can top Neal out at 70 points now.
Hornqvist jumps in value more than any player I remember jumping in value because of a trade. Maybe since Neal was traded to Pittsburgh?
If the Preds don’t land a center, which they will, but if they don’t – then Mike Fisher’s value moves upward. Other scoring forwards such as Craig Smith, this deal will help.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
still some gap
3. Smith/Colin Wilson
4. Filip Forsberg
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Ellis Signing, Sekera Injured Again, Rankings Explained (Aug 15)
- Ramblings: DeBrusk's Future, Sekera's Injury, Ellis in 2018-19, and More - August 16
- Eastern Edge: The Toronto Maple Leafs
- August Top 100 Roto Rankings
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades: Columbus Blue Jackets
- Cage Match: Rasmus Ristolainen vs. Ivan Provorov
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades: Dallas Stars
- Capped: Team by Team Buy and Sell - Part 2