Fantasy Impact: The Penguins have acquired Justin Schultz from the Oilers in exchange for a third round pick.
The Penguins get: A puck-moving defenseman who can really skate and jump into the play but really struggles defensively and has lost confidence. Basically, a reclamation projection.
The Oilers get: A third round pick in exchange for a player who really needed a fresh start.
Fantasy Players Impacted: A player with Schultz’s potential heading to Pittsburgh has some exciting possibilities but it is unlikely he makes a huge impact right away. Perhaps next season after a full training camp but right now Schultz will be behind Kris Letang, Trevor Daley, Olli Maatta, Brian Dumoulin and even the little used but potentially prolific Derrick Pouliot. If Schultz is getting a regular lineup spot it’s as the sixth defenseman in lieu of the much maligned Ian Cole. Cole did have a nice game on Saturday going plus-three with two assists while paired with Pouliot on the third line so perhaps he has earned some rope.
The Penguins have been hunting for another right-shooting defenseman after Ben Lovejoy was ruled out long term. Schultz may draw into the regular lineup simply to create balance but it remains to be seen if he will receive any power-play time. This ultimately helps because Schultz needed to escape Edmonton but the opportunity here is not nearly as strong.
In Edmonton, Andrej Sekera and Brandon Davidson have been soaking up big minutes of late and should be expected to continue to do so. Sekera produced at about a 40-point level in Carolina when given #1 defenseman duties so perhaps he finishes the season strong. He has five points in 13 games since the All-Star break. Also an intriguing option here as a right-handed shot is Adam Clendening who has also seen some power-play time.
Removing Schultz from the lineup can only help goaltender Cam Talbot though the Oilers should still be expected to lose more than they win to close the season.
Players this helps, in order:
Players this hurts, in order:
Steve Laidlaw is the Managing Editor of DobberHockey. You can follow him @SteveLaidlaw.
- Ramblings: Schneider waived; Drouin and Byron injured; Frost called up; Svechnikov - November 19
- Ramblings: Scoring is Up, Huberdeau is Underrated, Rebounders, Snoozers, & Breakouts (Nov. 20)
- Eastern Edge: Struggling and thriving players over the last month
- West: Goals vs. Expectation Pt.2 (Benn, Ritchie, Marchessault)
- Top 100 Keeper League Goaltenders - November 2019
- Lining Up: Streaking lines over their last 10 games
- Injury Ward: Kucherov, Marner, Bergeron, Letang, Klingberg, & Krug
- Fantasy Poll: The NHL Worst Contracts