Looking ahead to the best fantasy options for Week Five.
* This article was written prior to NHL games played on Thursday, October 24, 2013
Here are a couple teams to target and avoid for the next week or two as well as several players to target that may be available in your league.
New York Rangers = Target
Games: 7 (5H/2A)
- @ Detroit – Bookending their shootout shutout loss to San Jose, Detroit has allowed five and six goals to Phoenix and Ottawa, respectively. Seems like feast or famine with them right now since Jimmy Howard returned from his injured hand.
- @ NY Islanders – Nine goals against in their last two games and Evgeni Nabokov has looked shaky in both starts posting .826 and .848 save percentages. Last week I touted the Isles as a solid defensive team, guess I was kidding.
- vs. Buffalo – Like Steve mentioned in the ramblings on Thursday, Buffalo is fantasy hockey medicine for your struggling players going up against them. 15 goals against in their last four games.
The Rangers are one of three teams to play seven games over the next two weeks. They also return home from their season-opening road trip and play five of their next seven games at MSG. Five of the teams they face average more than two and half goals against per game. Still no Ryan Callahan or Rick Nash for the foreseeable future, so look for Brad Richards and Derek Stepan to lead the way offensively for the Blue Shirts.
Chicago Blackhawks = Consider
Games: 6 (4H/2A)
- @ Winnipeg – 13 goals against in the last four games. Ondrej Pavelec is sporting a 3.09 GAA and .901 SV%.
- vs. Calgary – Bottom four team in goals against average and dead last in PK% (69.0