In the Keeping Karlsson Fantasy Hockey Podcast’s 31 Beats series, Elan and Brian are on a league-wide odyssey to explore the fantasy present and future landscapes of each of the NHL’s 31 teams, gathering info by interviewing the people who know them best: beat writers!
Since the hiring of Barry Trotz as head coach, along with the departure of John Tavares, the New York Islanders have completely transformed from a high scoring team with defensive holes to a stingy squad that wins a lot of 1 goal games. Elan is joined by The Athletic’s Arthur Staple to discuss how the Islanders have changed their style so drastically and if we should expect the team to continue finding success this way. Other topics discussed include:
- How did the Islanders fall out of a playoff spot in 2019/20 after such a strong start?
- Can Mat Barzal be a point-per-game guy again under Trotz?
- Is Brock Nelson for real?
- Was Anders Lee‘s 40G season a mirage?
- Can Eberle build on his recent strong stretch?
- Will Beauvillier continue to build on this recent best season of his?
- What will Pageau’s role be?
- Who’s going to run PP1 next season?
- Will Oliver Wahlstrom make the team next season?
- Will Sorokin jump right to the NHL?
- and more!
Follow Arthur on Twitter @StapeAthletic and check out his work at The Athletic.
Players discussed on this episode include John Tavares, Mat Barzal, Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, Jordan Eberle, Anthony Beauvillier, JG