The Los Angeles Kings have acquired Jarome Iginla from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for a conditional pick in 2018
The Kings get: an aging and declining former superstar who offers up a lot of experience. Jarome Iginla is on pace to score 11 goals this year, which would be a career low. But you saw what Coach Darryl Sutter did to Vincent Lecavalier. Remember? We had written Lecavalier off big time. And what did he do? He went out and scored 10 goals in 42 games for the Kings, with actual spurts of fantasy relevance. So do not rule this move out.
The Avalanche gets: the lowest return possible? Darren Dreger reports that it’s a fourth-round pick if Iginla re-signs with Los Angeles or it is playoff related. So this pick is likely going to be nothing.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Iginla was getting over 15 minutes per game lately and his power-play time was up over two minutes per game. For that ice time to go to players like Mikhail Grigorenko. And now Carl Soderberg will get back into the lineup to stay. He could be a dark horse, if he learned his lesson in the press box. Perhaps Rocco Grimaldi gets called up? But his impact would be minimal, barring miracle chemistry with Nathan MacKinnon.
Iginla could be a sneaky-good pickup as your No.4 right winger. Potentially he could get 12 points in 20 games and the rumor is that he will be plunked onto a line with Anze Kopitar. That’s not an upgrade to Matt Duchene or MacKinnon, but chemistry is different with different players so you never know. He’s not worth chasing in a trade, but if you have a waiver move you can make and you have a terrible right-winger that you’re forced to activate then this may be worth it.
The Kings traded Dwight King earlier in the day, so the rest of the wingers will likely be unaffected.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
1. Marian Gaborik a little
This trade is being discussed in our forum right here!
- Top 50 Fantasy Prospect Defensemen - August 2019
- Top 100 Keeper League Goaltenders - August 2019
- Ramblings: Colin White signs long-term; Jaskin to the KHL; positional battles - August 22
- Ramblings: Brassard with the Islanders; Eriksson Ek extended; draft analysis
- Fantasy Impact: Derick Brassard Signs With Islanders
- Capped: Team by team buy and sell, part 3
- Frozen Tools Forensics: Impending contract years, part 2
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: NHL Audio Almanac and projections preview: Carolina Hurricanes