Every Sunday, we share 21 Fantasy Rambles from our writers at DobberHockey. These thoughts are curated from the past week’s 'Daily Ramblings'.
Writers/Editors: Ian Gooding, Michael Clifford, Alexander MacLean, and Dobber
1. Those who rolled the dice on Tony DeAngelo have reaped the rewards. The production (31 PTS in 30 GP) shouldn’t come as much of a surprise as the fact that he seems to be incident-free.
Among defensemen with a minimum of 25 games entering Saturday action, only five other d-men had a higher point-per-game average than DeAngelo (1.03 PTS/GP). The fact that TDA has been able to deliver even more offense than Dougie Hamilton at a much cheaper cap hit should be considered a major reason that the Canes are at the top of the Metropolitan Division.
The takeaway from that? There’s a chance that Evander Kane might not be that bad of an investment. Not saying it will happen, but there’s a chance. Someone in nearly half of Yahoo leagues and over half of Fantrax leagues believes Kane is worth a roster spot. (jan22)
2. Because Thatcher Demko and Jaroslav Halak are both in COVID protocol, Spencer Martin received the start for the Canucks on Friday. Martin looked dependable, stopping 33 of 34 shots in an eventual 2-1 shootout loss. For those wondering why prospect Mike DiPietro wasn’t the next man up, AHL veteran Martin (2.24 GAA, .921 SV%) has been better than DiPietro (3.19 GAA, .896 SV%) in the A this season. The fact that DiPietro played only four games last season due to spending significant time on the Canucks’ taxi squad may be stunting his development. Martin seems like a probable starter on Sunday against St. Louis. (jan22)
3. Sergei Bobrovsky has been a wins machine lately, posting victories in eight of his last nine games. He’s being helped by the Panthers playing as dominantly as they are, but his numbers (20-3-3, 2.38 GAA, .925 SV%, 57.1 QS%, 11.83 GSAA) are easily his best of his three seasons in Florida. (jan21)
4. In his second NHL game last Friday, Jack Quinn scored his first NHL goal, also finishing the game with an assist and three shots. Quinn was the eighth overall pick in the 2020 draft following a 50-goal season in the OHL. Although he struggled a bit last season in the AHL, he is having much better results there this season with 35 points in 24 games. One thing he has going for him is his shot. (jan21)
5. Alex Tuch has 10 points in nine games with his new club. One reason for his success could be an increase in ice time. So far, he has averaged nearly 19 minutes, which i